Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Boris Artzybasheff

M.C. Escher M.C. Escher

James Montgomery FlaggJames Montgomery Flagg

I love black and white art. The first medium I ever fell in love with was graphite. It is detailed and hazy, strong and gentle, and very convenient. Years later I was exposed to pen & ink. Some of my favorite black & white illustrators are M.C. Escher, James Montgomery Flagg and Aubrey Beardsley.

Aubrey BeardsleyAubrey Beardsley

Boris ArtzybasheffRecently I learned about the illustrator, Boris Artzybasheff. Born in Russia, Artzybasheff came to the US after the Russian revolution and became the cover illustrator for Time Magazine from 1941 until his death in 1965. His work captivates me because it has a science fiction theme of merging humans and machines (which reminds me of H.R. Giger) and the first pieces I ever saw were in black & white.

A book of his work, As I See, can be purchased at Ken's Publishing.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Escher's art has always amazed me. Such precision! And he has a very surreal flair to his work.

Beardsley is just pure decorative, fun stuff. I think the elves of Middle Earth had him as their decorator. ;)

rhon said...

I love Escher because it's obvious he has a scientific mind.

Flagg is fascinating because most of his work in done with cross-hatching.

Beardsley falls in my favorite design period, Art Deco.