Thursday, June 14, 2007

Modern Art, Anyone?

I'm taking a doctoral class in modern art in my program at UTD in conjunction with the Dallas Museum of Art. In the past when people said modern art, I always envisioned Abstract Expressionist stuff, which I disliked. But I do appreciate Grant Wood ("American Gothic") and many of the regional works painted during the Modern Period. (I prefer represtational art in the living room to ginormous chunks of metal outside.)

As part of my class, which consists of about fifteen teachers-as-students, I am learning about a lot of technological resources. So I'm here to share some cookies (not the computer kind):

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA)'s web site sets the standard for the industry. And they have a cool interactive section, which provides a great intro to modern art so people like me who appreciate it but have a lot to learn can find out more. Check out "Making Sense of Modern Art."
Also, a cool program that's considered the post-PowerPoint ideal for educators is Pachyderm. They work with educators and the arts a lot, so some of the content in their demos is fab. You'll find everything from heaven and earth depicted in art to mummies and madonnas. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Erin said...

San,
This course sounds right up my alley. I hope they're still doing stuff like this when my kids are a little older and able to take the classes WITH me!