Sunday, November 25, 2007

What's Your Fave and Why?

Yesterday my family and I spent the day at George Washington's estate, Mt. Vernon. My husband took this shot facing the Potomac from the mansion. Even though the fall colors were "past peak," they far outdid what the trees in our home state of Texas do this time of year. And I couldn't stop saying, "Look at the colors! How beautiful!"

Fall color is not the only thing I miss about being a "transplant" in the Lone Star state. I had forgotten the sight of leaves, three or four at a time, slowly falling zig-zag to the ground. Back at my in-laws', my daughter and her cousin raked a bunch of leaves into a four-foot pile and then ran and jumped into the middle of it.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Family time, pumpkin pie, fall colors (both of our families live in places where leaves change color). I love to set a table full of beautiful china and smell the aroma of nutmeg and ginger and cinnamon.

What's your favorite holiday? Or season? And why?

2 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, to hear another singing the sorows of a Texas transplant. It's so reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who believes that this is NOT fall...at least not fall as it should be.

My favorite season is fall as well - fall in Virginia to be exact. The air gets crisp and walking outside makes your hands and feet numb while the rest of your body is warmly bundled. Then you come inside, get snuggled in a blanket with a cup of hot tea. Nestling into the cushions on the couch you sit by the window and just watch the leaves fall, thinking to yourself, "I really should go out there and rake those up," only to take another sip of tea and continue to watch them fall.

Dallas fall, however, plagues me with airborne allergens. It's still my favorite season, though, and I'm grateful for the reminder of how beautiful it can be.

Erin said...

I'd have to pick spring (if I really have to pick a favorite at all- I love something about each season.)

Spring is green and inviting after a season of very uninviting chill. Spring is bird calls and new blooms. Spring is the warming sun beckoning me to bring my reading outside. Spring is new planting and planning the summer garden.
Spring is like a good stretch after a long winter's nap.