Monday, August 10, 2009

Voice Like a Waterfall

My family and I just returned from a 5,700-mile trip through the western USA visiting six of the national parks--The North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Rocky Mountain.

When we were in Yellowstone, we pulled over to a lookout point and saw a path to the vista point. As soon as I stepped out of the RV, I heard the rushing of water. It sounded really close, even though the pathway to my left and right looked long. Then I saw through an opening in the trees that I was standing about five feet from the edge of deep canyon, and I was within yards of an enormous rushing waterfall. Powerful. Magnificent. Overwhelming in its force.

Later that day I read in the Book of Revelation that when Jesus appeared to John, the prophet fell as a dead man because he was so afraid. But Jesus told him not to fear.
I trembled with awe at the thought of that kind of power.

No comments: